Five Minutes with Sarie Liebenberg, Dental Hygienist
Sarie Liebenberg is a passionate Dental Hygienist with a combination of good people skills, compassion for her patients and love for her profession.
1. Where did you start your career?
I began my dentistry career at the School of Oral Health Sciences at the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa.
2. What would you say you enjoy most about dentistry?
Health and aesthetics are no longer mutually exclusive. I love the fact that I can be part of a team that helps create healthy mouths and beautiful smiles. It contributes to overall happiness. I like happy!
3. How do you spend your spare time?
I don’t have a lot of spare time, but if I get a chance, I like to go for a run in the park. It’s like therapy to me. And my greatest spoil is a good book on the couch.
4. What is the last thing you have done to improve your skills/knowledge?
I am a member of several dental study clubs and committees, focusing on bettering ourselves through continuous education. I am also lecturing and writing educational articles. Therefore I am constantly gathering new and updated information.
5. What are some changes that you have witnessed in dentistry since you qualified?
We are taking a holistic approach in oral care focusing on prevention and motivation of the patient and emphasising the link between oral and systemic health.